Village life PT 3

SCHOOL IN THE VILLAGE

Immunisation has to do with everyone in the village.
We were ordered to queue up in front of the Headmasters office.
The health workers in their whites looking smart.
Those days when they use the same syringe to inject everyone in the village.
I stood on the line that was moving so slowing because of the long process of sterilizing the syringe.
You can't run away from the queue because you have been marked present in class and if you are absent from the immunisation you will have so much questions to answer. I mean serious cane when you reappear.
I was thinking, "why did I come to school today" But they would have come to pick me up at home all the same.
I can hear the screams of children who are younger and even those who are older than myself.  
What will I do when it is my turn?
We were getting closer by now, I hear people discussing the different levels of pain.
After injecting one by the shoulder the syringe is placed in fire from something that looks like a candle until it makes a sound like a gun shot.
For some it will shoot twice, which makes the people cry more.
Our prayer is for ours to shot just once and very low sound.
Very close now, I can see the syringe, it looks like a gun  and the health workers are very strong, we have teachers everywhere with cane ready to pounce on any one who tries to escape.
There was this particular boy that we dreaded so much because he was very strong.
He got to to them, stretched out his arm and the shot came. He jumped up and screamed jumping up and down as he started running away after he has been injected.
So many of us started crying even before it got to our turn.
God let this things spoil or just finish so that it will not get to my turn.
That prayer was not answered as it was soon my turn to be injected.
I had rolled up my sleeve and a health worker had applied something wet and cold on the spot.
The next health worker griped my hand and moved me closer to the gun. I closed my eyes turned away my head. He placed it on my shoulder and fired. I felt a very sharp pain on my shoulder.
I screamed holding my hand as if it has just been amputated.
That was the end of school for that day. We were to nurse that pain for some days.
I still have the scare on my shoulder till date.
This days they just drop sweet liquid in their mouth and they are good to go.
Does any one remember does days?

Talk your own.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Village Life

9 YEARS