Village life PT 2

We were given orders by my grand father to go work in the farm, not too far from the house.
Two of my uncles my grandfather's sons and I left for the farm when we returned from school.
The cassava farm is becoming overgrown with weeds.
We looked at the weeds and...
VICTOR: Let us rest before we start to work.
MARCUS: You are right I am tired.
Out of fear of what will happen if we did no work I said. "Let us work before rest"
We started from the same spot, uprooted weeds from just one furrow.
Time to play.
An election took place right there and Victor became the governor and the rest of us will have to donate money to him.
Money... Palm kernel.
Whoever donates the biggest and more kernel becomes the deputy governor.
Running from under one palm tree to another palm tree looking for kernel for our governor.
Victor the governor sat under a tree, just eating and eating palm kernel.
We have forgotten what we came to the farm to do.
I got a very big kernel, which I broke, inside it was a very big worm.
Taking a look at it would have won me the seat of the deputy governor but I can't take it to him.
I gave it to my opponent asking him to eat that it is my donation to him. Wickedness
He threw the kernel into his mouth and chewed, I was looking at him from the side of my eyes.
He spat out the rotten kernel by then I was gone.  
We left the farm late in the evening doing nothing
We got home looking tired. The old man asked "I hope you finished the work"
There was a chorused answer of yes. Very big lie.
The next day was Saturday which means we will all be going to the farm with my grand father.
You can tell what his shock was seeing what we did the previous day.
Your guess is as good as mine. If you have ever lived in the village you should know what happened thereafter.
See you again in the next edition of Village life


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Village Life

9 YEARS